Copyright © Big City Mountaineers
Description: Mentoring in the wilderness. Big City Mountaineers uses this idea to transform the lives of impoverished inner city youth. The organization hopes that experiences in the wilderness will help these kids develop critical life skills including integrity, self- esteem, responsibility, decision-making abilities and communication skills.
- Provide wilderness opportunities to under-resourced urban teens age 13 to 18
- Cultivate relationships between teens and caring adult mentors
- Offer a unique 1-to-1 ratio of adults to teens
- Improve teen self-awareness and personal responsibility
- Promote group development and effective communication
- Celebrate gender differences by offering only single gender expeditions
- Partner with existing youth development agencies to better address the ongoing needs of under-resourced youth.
- Deliver safe wilderness expeditions led by professional field instructors
Its Core Values:
- We are united by a devotion to young people and a hope for their future.
- We believe for the teens we serve, the incomparable challenge of wilderness experiences in the company of positive adult role models can begin a teen’s journey of self-discovery and promote the values of community and responsibility.
- We are united by a respect and love for the outdoors and a dedication to the preservation of the wilderness.
- We believe that self-esteem and resilience are fundamental to a teen’s health, happiness and future success.
- We believe that all teens deserve positive adult role models to teach, inspire and motivate them.
- We believe that our many blessings have been given to us as gifts to share.
Its Vision: To help transform the lives of thousands of inner city youth annually.
(Information courtesy of Big City Mountaineers)
If you are interested and want to know more, visit http://www.bigcitymountaineers.org/